NationalNewsVideo

Novak Djokovic’s potential three-year exclusion period has been overturned following the sportsman’s high-profile deportation from Australia back in January, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has reported.

Australian Border Force previously stated that in certain circumstances, an exclusion period could be waived, but each case would be assessed individually.

The Serbian-born tennis player missed the entire Australian Open tournament in January and was deported from the country after arriving at Melbourne Airport as the world’s top-ranked tennis player.

Djokovic said that he had a valid medical exemption to not only enter the country despite Australia’s strict COVID-19 laws concerning unvaccinated travellers, but to enter the tournament.

Former immigration minister Alex Hawke used his powers to cancel the tennis star’s visa, arguing his presence in the country risked fanning anti-vaccine sentiment and could cause "civil unrest".

Having had a change in government, with Anthony Albanese taking over as Australian prime minister from Scott Morrison back in May, the country has changed border rules.

Since July, incoming travellers no longer have to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.

The change in rules meant Djokovic was allowed to ask for his visa status to be reviewed.

While at the ATP Finals in Turin, Italy, on Monday, the tennis star hinted that the Australian government was communicating with his lawyers ahead of the Open which commences on 16 January 2023.

He told Serbian website Sportal that there were "positive signs" coming from Australia but they were "unofficial".

Immigration minister Andrew Giles’ office declined to comment on privacy grounds, meaning any announcement on Djokovic’s visa status would have to come from the 35-year-old himself.

So far, the tennis star is yet to comment publicly.

Read more on Sky News:
Novak Djokovic: Unvaccinated tennis star withdraws from two US competitions as COVID rules prevent him from entering America

Nick Kyrgios apologises to Wimbledon fan he accused of being ‘drunk out of her mind’
Tennis star Simona Halep vows to ‘fight until the end’ after failing doping test

Djokovic’s deportation from Australia in January was the start of a turbulent season for the star due to his unvaccinated status.

He went on to withdraw from two prestigious tennis competitions in the US, as COVID-19 regulations once again prevented him from entering a country.

Djokovic pulled out of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and the Miami Open after the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) confirmed he needed to be jabbed to enter the country.

The tennis star was back on top form for Wimbledon back in July, where he claimed his 21st Grand Slam singles championship after defeating Australian Nick Kyrgios in the final, but he was also unable to take part in the US Open in September due to COVID rules.

© Sky News 2023