Brentford striker Ivan Toney has been charged by the Football Association (FA) over 232 alleged betting rule breaches.
Spanning a four-year period, the 26-year-old is accused of breaking gambling rules from 2017, when he was on Newcastle’s books, to 2021 after he joined his current club from Peterborough.
Last week, he admitted he was assisting the FA with its investigation into historic breaches of the rules, and he now has until Thursday 24 November to provide the association with a response.
"Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of the FA’s betting rules," said the FA
"It is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached FA rule E8 232 times between February 25, 2017 and January 23, 2021."
The rules state that players are "prohibited from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition that takes place anywhere in the world".
Any player found guilty of breaking the FA’s strict betting rules can face "financial penalties, suspensions and, in some instances, lifetime bans".
Toney was considered an England hopeful for the World Cup in Qatar, having been called up for the recent Nations League fixtures, but wasn’t selected by manager Gareth Southgate to join the squad.
He began his professional career with home-town club Northampton and, during a three-year stay at Newcastle, had loan spells with Barnsley, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe and Wigan before making a permanent move to Peterborough in August 2018.
He joined Brentford in a £5m switch two years later and scored 33 goals as they won promotion to the Premier League in his first season.
‘I am a proud Englishman’
When news of the FA investigation broke last week, Toney wrote on Twitter: "I have been assisting the Football Association with their enquiries and will not be making any comment until such investigation has reached its conclusion.
"I am a proud Englishman and it has always been my childhood dream to play for my country at a World Cup finals."
So far this season, Toney has scored 11 goals, including both in Brentford’s shock 2-1 win at Manchester City.
His team has said it is aware of the allegations, and has been "in discussion" with Toney’s legal representatives.
"Those conversations will continue privately," it said in a statement, adding no other comments will be made until the case has been completed.
© Sky News 2022